It is my intention, in each posting, to include some vocabulary, random words, some old; but used in new ways – or phrases which have recently come to my attention – and which, I believe should be brought to your attention:
- IMPORTANTLY. More and more people are saying “Importantly” recently. Pundits, Politicians, people on the street. My suggestion is – and this is important: Never say this word out loud. If you see someone saying this on TV…they are faking gravitas and pay them little mind. Change the channel.
- BACKFIRE EFFECT: Relates to doubling down on misconceptions and or erroneous ways. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you plunge on and try to convince yourself and others you were right. ( In voting, in being late, in lying…that sort of thing)…Backiring…must have something to do with making a big carbon monoxide induced bang noise, I guess) Not a good thing. Do not double down just because you are wrong…(Try in life not to ‘backfire’.)
- UNICORN: Young business valued at $1 billion or more. China has produced 34 of them since 2015. The U. S.: 35.
- FAST FOODIES (Self explanatory)
- HISPANOHABLANTES. Did you know more people speak Spanish in the U.S. than there are people in Spain? Hispanohablantes.
- “Let Them watch TV” is what ‘they’ will try to say when the rebellion comes.
- UNPACK…and NARRATIVE are big words used by the newscasters of the day. As in …”Importantly, we will unpack this narrative” …I think ‘narrative’ is the same as ‘story’…but it is a more professional sounding word …Listen, you will hear these words…Remember: Change the channel, or turn the thing off altogether.
- …I will leave you with the wise words of Mary Crow Dog: “You can’t live forever off the deeds of Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse. You can’t wear their eagle feathers, free-load off their legends. you have to make your own legends now. It isn’t easy.”